Thursday, March 12, 2009

LEAN in Economy: a new dimension to JIT for economies in recession

Today, I was going through the concept of Lean Production, as has been pioneered by Toyota through its legendary Toyota Production System, famously known as the TPS. Of its two key concepts, is Just In Time (JIT). Quoting from Toyota worldwide website, JIT is: Making only "what is needed, when it is needed, and in the amount needed!"
But my intention here is not to inform you about either of these. You can google it and will find numerous article and research reports on them. I came across one very deeply inspiring illustration, based on JIT which I share here with you.



To describe it, when the inventory level in the production system is high (which is opposite of what is followed in JIT), the problems of not only the production but the firm as a whole is submerged in it. This leads to only the surfaced problems coming in the eyesight. As an extension of what has been shown here, some problems may actually build one upon the other and create a sea-bed of problems, much like an iceberg (This idea was conveyed to me by my esteemed Operations Management Professor)
To use this model in the current economic downturn that has uncovered the problems (or opportunites in disguise), I propose the following illustration:


(Copyright Image) Click to enlarge

When the Sensex was making its dream-run, no one was bothered about any of the trifle matters that are being taken up. But the same guys have started nitpicking at each and every action of the companies. Even the launch of "People's Car" Tata Nano was not without its skeptics, who wondered if Tata will be able to sell as many as it wished.

Now, coming to the hidden ineffeciencies of the market:
  • Business Ineffeciency
  • Pareto Ineffeciency
  • Production Ineffeciency
  • Agency Problem
  • Monopoly
Will write in the next post about how an economic recession (as low level of inventory) exposes these ineffeciencies.

5 comments:

  1. classic…
    bangalorewithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post…
    saadepunjab.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com. / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

..Reader Stats

Locations of visitors to this page

Hit CountersFree Hit Counter

..My Groups

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

IndiBlogger - Network of Indian Bloggers

..My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

..Rate this Blog

Rate Me on BlogHop.com

the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?